Andy Trott reigned supreme at the Northamptonshire County Closed again as he took the men’s singles title. Trott beat Steve Silk and Dan Smalley en route to a finals night clash with young defender Sam Wilson. He took the first 11-9 but was pegged back when Wilson levelled it with an 11-7 game of his own. But Trott did what he’s done to so many players over the years by pulling away, taking the final two 11-5, 11-7 to retain his title.
There was a shock in the men’s doubles however as Trott and partner Adrian Roper fell at the semi-final stage to Dan Smalley and Matt Horrocks. The Westfield clubmates won in five nailbiting ends before an inspired performance in the final saw them beat John Fuller and Nigel Metcalfe.
In the women’s singles, Nicole Bird retained her title with a win over Brigitta Palinkas who had earlier knocked out number two seed Jordan Wood. Bird and Wood also won the women’s doubles. Bird made it three finals night wins out of three in the mixed doubles with Smalley against the brother and sister pairing of Chris Haynes and Liz Adams.
Trott won the veterans singles title against Vidal Graham and there were wins in the over 50s and 60s respectively for Metcalfe and Fuller.
Sam Wilson ensured he took home some silverware with a comprehensive junior boys win against Shay Graham, and teamed up with Corby youngster Alex Cochrane to take the junior doubles.
Anna Wilson was the junior girls’ winner, beating Evie Elliott in the final.
Shay Graham tasted success in the under 15 boys against Jacob Tattersall and also won in the under 15 doubles.
Jamie Anderson won in the under 13 boys against Nathan Dixon in the final.
In the under 11s Ben Aldridge was the winner, beating Benny Benko in the final.
In the banded events Alex Cochrane took the headlines with wins in both the Band 2 and Band 3 singles.
Shay Graham won the Band 1 while Ian Baldock and David George won the Band 1 doubles.
- U15 Boys’ Singles winner: S Graham, runner-up J Tattersall
- U15 Boys’ Doubles winner: S Graham/D Mann, runner-up J Tattersall/S Tattersall
- U13 Boys’ Singles winner: J Anderson, runner-up N Dixon
- U13 Open Doubles winner: A Shah/K Dodhia, runner-up N Dixon/J Anderson
- U11 Boys’ Singles winner: B Aldridge, runner-up B Benko
- Junior Banded Singles winner: H Malenda, runner-up A Cochrane
- Men’s Singles winner: A Trott, runner-up S Wilson
- Women’s Singles winner: N Bird, runner-up B Palinkas
- Men’s Doubles winner: D Smalley/M Horrocks, runner-up J Fuller/N Metcalfe
- Women’s Doubles winner: N Bird/J Wood, runner-up B Palinkas/C Scaysbrook
- Mixed Doubles winner: D Smalley/N Bird, runner-up C Haynes/L Adams
- O40 Men’s Singles winner: A Trott, runner-up V Graham
- O40 Women’s Singles winner: S Moloney, runner-up M Shears
- 18-21 Inclusive Singles winner: N Bird, runner-up A Wilson
- O50 Singles winner: N Metcalfe, runner-up J Fuller
- O60 Singles winner: J Fuller, runner-up B Wooding
- O40 Men’s Doubles winner: J Fuller/N Metcalfe, runner-up A Trott/A Roper
- O50 Men’s Doubles winners: J Fuller/Metcalfe, runner-up B Wooding/A Roper
- O60 Men’s Doubles winners: B Wooding/C Stone, runner-up J Fuller/D Simmons
- U18 Boys’ Singles winner: S Wilson, runner-up S Graham
- U18 Boys’ Doubles winner: S Wilson/A Cochrane, runner-up S Graham/T Holly
- U18 Girls’ Singles winner: A Wilson, runner-up E Elliott
- Band 1 Singles winner: S Graham, runner-up C Stone
- Band 2 Singles winner: A Cochrane, runner-up S Smith
- Band 3 Singles winner: A Cochrane, runner-up B Palinkas
- Band 4 Singles winner: V Birch-Abban, runner-up V Pham
- Band 1 Doubles winner: I Baldock/D George, runner-up S Ajit/S Graham
Gratitude to Sam Wildman for his tournament report.